This White Queso Dip is thick and creamy with a subtle heat that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Serve it with tortilla chips and topped with extra jalapeños!
Made with green onions, Roma tomatoes, green chiles, jalapeños, spices, and a blend of cheeses, this queso is an intensely flavored dip that can't be beaten. The heat level can easily be tailored to your preferences so that this dip can be enjoyed by anyone.
Step By Step Instructions
In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
Sauté the green onions and Roma tomatoes until they are slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Stir in the green chiles and jalapeños and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Sauté for 30 seconds.
Pour in the evaporated milk and mix in the cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Simmer for 1 minute to thicken.
Add the American cheese and quickly stir until fully melted and combined.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese until it is melted and well incorporated.
Tips & Tricks
- You can choose any cheese you prefer to go with the American cheese. In this recipe, I use white cheddar but Monterey jack and pepper jack would also be great choices.
- This dip will become thick as it cools so it's a good idea to keep it warm until ready to serve.
- To keep the dip warm longer, heat a cast iron pan in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes and then pour the dip into the hot pan. Just be sure to wrap the handle in a towel and make sure everyone knows it's hot!
Other Appetizers You'll Love!
Pepper Beef Nachos with Homemade Queso
Soft Pretzel Bites with Champagne Honey Mustard Dip
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and comment below!
Let's Get Social!
I love seeing your photos! If you make this recipe don't forget to mention @ThisHomeKitchen and tag #thishomekitchen on Instagram!
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Youtube!
Subscribe to My Newsletter!
Get my newest recipes, kitchen tips and tricks, and the latest news right in your inbox!
White Queso Dip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 bundles of green onions white and light green sections, sliced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces canned green chiles
- 1 to 3 tablespoons jarred jalapenos chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces white American cheese chopped into small pieces
- 6 ounces white cheddar freshly shredded
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sauté the green onions and tomatoes until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chiles and jalapenos and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Pour in the evaporated milk and stir in the cornstarch. Cook over medium until it begins to bubble. Simmer for 1 minute until thickened.
- Stir in the American cheese until melted and well combined.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and well incorporated.
- Serve warm.
- Cheddar works really well in this recipe but you could also use Monterey jack or pepper jack for a bit more heat.
- The dip will thicken as it cools. You'll want to keep the dip warm either by keeping it on the stove over low heat or in a slow cooker on low.
- You can also heat a cast iron pan in the oven and then serve the dip in the cast iron. Just be sure to wrap a towel around the handle so that no one burns themselves.
Leave a Reply