Honey Thyme Roasted Carrots are fast and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. They’re sweet and salty and herby making them a great side dish to go with any main meal.
This recipe could not be easier. Just six simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have, come together for a flavor-packed side dish. They’d go great with this Herbs de Provence Chicken and Potatoes!
The honey and butter give the carrots flavor and a beautiful golden brown color and the fresh thyme, salt, and pepper perfectly season them. And, the recipe is easy to scale up or down depending on how much you need!
Love this recipe? Check out these other side dishes to round out the meal!
- Twice Baked Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
- Garlic Parmesan Orzo with Caramelized Shallots
- Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Key Ingredient Notes
Carrots – Fresh sweet carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces are the perfect size to quickly roast.
Honey – Adds sweetness to the carrots that balance with the butter, salt, and thyme.
Thyme – fresh thyme is preferred here but dried thyme will also work if it’s all you have.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: A complete list of ingredients, their amounts, and instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the honey, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Turn off the heat and toss the sliced carrots in the honey mixture until everything is fully coated.
Transfer the carrots to the prepared baking sheet leaving room between each carrot to avoid overcrowding and steaming.
Roast for 20 to 30 minutes flipping each one over halfway through baking.
Roasting for closer to 20 minutes will result in lighter browning and firmer carrots and 30 minutes will result in a dark roast with softer carrots. Roast them to your preference.
Transfer them to a serving dish if you’d like. Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Cut the carrots into even-sized pieces to help them cook evenly.
- Pull the carrots out of the oven when they are cooked to your preferred softness.
- Don’t skip flipping the carrots halfway through roasting. This will help both sides get a nice brown color to them. You may also need to rotate the pan if the carrots in the back are cooking too fast.
Substitutions & Variations
- Swap the thyme with another herb or create a mixture. Parsley, rosemary, and sage are all great options.
- Use maple syrup, agave syrup, or sugar in place of the honey.
- Olive oil can be used in place of the butter.
Storage & Reheating
Keep the carrots in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheat in 30-second bursts in the microwave or for 5 minutes in a 400-degree F oven or until warmed through.
Once the carrots are fully cooled, spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
To reheat, I suggest roasting them from frozen in a 400-degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and comment below!
Let’s Get Social!
I love seeing your photos! If you make this recipe don’t forget to mention @ThisHomeKitchen and tag #thishomekitchen on Instagram!
Subscribe to My Newsletter!
Get my newest recipes, kitchen tips and tricks, and the latest news right in your inbox!
Honey Thyme Roasted Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme stripped from stems
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper preferably freshly cracked
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Mix in the honey, thyme, salt, and pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Turn off the heat and toss the carrots in the honey mixture.
- Spread the carrots out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. (see notes)
- Transfer the carrots to a serving dish (optional) and serve warm.