This easy 5-minute cajun-style remoulade sauce is the perfect addition to crab cakes and other seafood. It’s creamy and tangy with just a touch of spice. You’ll want to put it on just about everything!
Remoulade sauce is the perfect topping for crispy pan-fried crab cakes. It would also be great on a po’ boy sandwich or these Crispy Shrimp Tacos. Not a fan of seafood? No problem! Dip Panko Crusted Chicken in the remoulade sauce.
This recipe uses simple ingredients and can be adjusted to your heat preferences, so make it as hot (or not) as you like!
Mayo – Store-bought good quality mayo is the base for remoulade sauce.
Mustard – Adds flavor. You can use Dijon, spicy brown, or creole mustard. Avoid yellow mustard for this recipe.
Sweet Pickle Relish – Adds texture as well as a touch of sweetness that balances the other flavors.
Horseradish – Adds more texture as well as heat. Use freshly grated horseradish root or jarred prepared horseradish (not creamy horseradish sauce).
Cajun Seasoning – A blend of herbs and spices to add flavor and heat to the sauce.
Hot Sauce – A little heat brightens and rounds out the flavors and pairs well with the crab cakes and other seafood. Use your favorite hot sauce and more or less based on your heat tolerance.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full list of ingredients, their amounts, and instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Cover and chill until ready to use.
Substitutions & Variations
- Creole seasoning can be used instead of Cajun seasoning. The two are similar but creole has more herbs than spices and is less spicy.
- The sweet relish already adds a touch of sweetness but if you would like more sweetness, add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar.
Store the remoulade sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Did you make this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and comment below!
Let’s Get Social!
I love seeing your photos! If you make this recipe don’t forget to mention @ThisHomeKitchen and tag #thishomekitchen on Instagram!
Subscribe to My Newsletter!
Get my newest recipes, kitchen tips and tricks, and the latest news right in your inbox!
Remoulade Sauce for Crab Cakes
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons favorite hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon horseradish prepared or freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic grated
- Whisk all ingredients together until well combined.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.