This Panko Crusted Chicken is made from tender white meat chicken coated in a crispy flavor-packed panko breading and baked to crispy golden brown perfection.
These crispy panko-breaded chicken strips are perfect for a weeknight meal. From start to finish, you can have these on the table in under 30 minutes! Serve them with Penne Pomodoro (another quick cooking recipe!) or with these Crispy Oven Fried Zucchini Chips (oven is already on!).
Don't forget to serve them with your favorite sauce. BBQ Ranch, Buffalo, or Sriracha Aioli are all great choices!
They are sure to become a family favorite and recipe staple!
Chicken - Chicken breast cut into strips is perfect for this recipe. You could also use chicken tenderloins.
Flour & Egg - A layer of all-purpose flour followed by a layer of whisked egg makes the panko breading stick to the chicken so that it doesn't flake off.
Panko - Panko bread crumbs are coarser than other types of breadcrumbs which makes them perfect for getting a crispy coating when baking rather than frying.
Parmesan - Adds flavor to the breading while also helping it to stick.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full list of ingredients, their amounts, and instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with oil or butter.
Place the flour in a bowl and set it aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the egg and 2 teaspoons of water and whisk until well combined.
In a third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add the melted butter and mix until well combined.
Hint: I use my hands to mix the butter in. It's much easier and more thorough than using a fork.
Working in batches, dip the chicken strips into the flour and toss to fully coat. Shake off the excess flour then coat the chicken strip in the egg. Finally, coat the chicken pieces in the panko mixture pressing on the breadcrumbs to help them stick.
Place the coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet leaving room between each one.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is golden brown and crispy.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
Use tongs to transfer the chicken from the flour to the egg and then to the bread crumbs. This will minimize how messy your hands get though you will need to use your hands to press on the breadcrumbs.
Substitutions & Variations
Chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken thighs would also work well in this recipe.
Switch up the spices to use whatever you like:
- If you don't have Italian seasoning, dried oregano and basil can be used instead.
- Smoked paprika can be used in place of regular.
- Or skip those spices and use Old Bay instead.
Storage & Reheating
Store the panko chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, I suggest either baking them in a 400-degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or in an air fryer at 390 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes.
If possible, avoid microwaving them as the coating will likely become soggy.
More Recipes You'll Love!
BBQ Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and comment below!
Let's Get Social!
I love seeing your photos! If you make this recipe don't forget to mention @ThisHomeKitchen and tag #thishomekitchen on Instagram!
You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Youtube!
Subscribe to My Newsletter!
Get my newest recipes, kitchen tips and tricks, and the latest news right in your inbox!
Panko Crusted Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into ½-inch thick strips
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups plain panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon salt fine kosher or sea
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with oil or butter.
- Place the flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add egg to another bowl with 2 teaspoons of water and whisk until they are well combined.
- In a third bowl, mix together the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the melted butter on top and mix until well combined.
- Working in batches, lightly coat each chicken strip with the flour. Then, coat them with the egg. Finally, toss with the panko mixture pressing on the breadcrumbs to help them stick.
- Place the breaded chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet leaving room between each one.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until they are cooked through and the outside is lightly browned and crispy.
Leave a Reply