This Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad is loaded with tender chicken, sweetened dried cranberries, buttery pecans, crunchy celery and red onions, and it's all tossed in a creamy apple cider vinegar and dill dressing.
This easy recipe is one of my favorite ways to have chicken salad. The tender chicken with the sweet chewy cranberries and crunchy pecans coated in a tangy creamy sauce strike the perfect balance of flavors.
What You'll Love!
- This is a super fast meal to put together. In just 15 minutes, you can be ready to eat!
- The creamy tangy apple cider vinegar and dill sauce pair perfectly with the sweetness of the cranberries
- Perfect for a quick and easy lunch
Cooked Chicken - Leftover chicken, poached chicken breasts, or the meat from a rotisserie chicken would all work well.
Sweetened Dried Cranberries - Adds a sweet and tart flavor to the chicken salad.
Pecans - Adds crunch and texture to the dish.
Mayo - This is the base of the sauce and it gives the chicken salad its creaminess.
Fresh Dill - Adds a hint of freshness and a nice herby flavor.
Apple Cider Vinegar - Helps to balance out the creaminess of the sauce while also adding more flavor.
Dijon Mustard - Gives the sauce more depth of flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full list of ingredients, their amounts, and instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
In a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, dill, salt, and black pepper. Whisk until it is well combined.
Add the diced chicken, cranberries, pecans, celery, and red onion. Toss until everything is well coated.
The chicken salad can be served immediately. However, the flavors will come together more if allowed to chill for about 4 hours or overnight.
Tips & Tricks
- Cut the chicken to be about the same size as the cranberries and pecans for the best texture
- Pre-chopped pecans are the perfect size so you can save time on chopping
- Would make a great addition to your holiday menu or to take with you to a holiday party
Substitutions & Variations
- If you don't like cranberries, raisins would be a good substitute
- For a more unique flavor, try chopped dried apricots
- For a healthier version, use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo
Storage & Reheating
Store the cranberry pecan chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- On a croissant for an elevated sandwich
- Wrapped in romaine or bibb lettuce for a lettuce wrap
- In a tortilla with lettuce
- On whole grain crackers
More Recipes You'll Love!
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a star rating ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and comment below!
Let's Get Social!
I love seeing your photos! If you make this recipe don't forget to mention @ThisHomeKitchen and tag #thishomekitchen on Instagram!
Subscribe to My Newsletter!
Get my newest recipes, kitchen tips and tricks, and the latest news right in your inbox!
Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast chilled and diced
- ½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup celery thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion finely diced
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Add the diced chicken, dried cranberries, pecans, celery, and red onion to the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Ideally, chill the chicken salad for at least 4 hours before serving so that the flavors can come together. However, you can serve it immediately.
- Chicken salad can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- See post for serving suggestions